Senior tourney: Conococheague completes comeback in 8th inning

June 29, 2012|By KYLE RAIOS | Staff Correspondent

WILLIAMSPORT — Just a little bit more was all they needed.

The Conococheague Senior League All-Stars needed an extra inning to complete their comeback and eliminate South Mountain from the District 1 Tournament, 8-7.

Conococheague will travel to Maugansville on Saturday for the losers’ bracket final at 5:30 p.m.

South Mountain struck the first blow in the top half of the first. Clayton Myers drew a leadoff walk, advanced to second on a passed ball and scored on an infield error, giving South Mountain a quick 1-0 lead.

Conococheague got the run back and then some in the home half of the first. Austin Stine smacked a leadoff double to the left-center fence and scored on Trey French’s single to tie the ballgame. French stole second before Blake Harne walked to put two on. A single off the bat of Jordan Buchanan plated French for the lead and put Harne on second. Harne scored two batters later on an infield error, and Conococheague was up 3-1.

South Mountain scored another in the third inning. Myers walked for the second time in the game, stole second and crossed the plate on an error to close the gap 3-2.

Buchanan’s leadoff triple in the Conococheague half of the third set the stage for Brandon Iseminger’s RBI single to make it 4-2.

In the top half of the fourth, South Mountain went through the batting order to score five runs off five hits, highlighted by RBI singles by Andrew Violet, Brad Enfield and James Merson, giving South Mountain a 7-4 lead.

Conococheague reliever Trey French, who came to the mound in the fourth inning, held South Mountain hitless with only two baserunners, while striking out eight from the fifth inning on. He helped his own cause in the bottom of the fifth, hitting a triple to deep center field and scoring on Harne’s groundout to make it 7-5 after five.

An uneventful sixth led into an eventful seventh. Conococheague tied the ballgame at 7-7. Stine led off with a walk and advanced to second when French was hit by the first pitch he saw. A wild pitch advanced both runners, and with no outs yet, it looked like the comeback was moments away. Harne struck again with a two-run single to tie it, but Conococheague was unable to complete the rally, stranding two runners.

Going into extra innings, Conococheague capitalized on the opportunity. Ian Walters singled to start the bottom of the eighth, before moving up to second on a wild pitch. A single by Stine put Walters on third, and with the bases loaded after French drew a walk, Harne finished it all with a line-drive single to left to score Walters and win it for Conococheague.

The Herald-Mail Articles