9-10 tourney: West End wins 'crazy game' over Hancock

June 28, 2012|By BRETT NIEVES | Staff Correspondent

HAGERSTOWN — Kameron Hollinger hit a walk-off single Wednesday night to lift West End over Hancock 16-15 in a Maryland District 1 9-10 losers’ bracket game.

Prior to Hollinger’s game-winning hit, the West End defense turned a spectacular 6-3-2 double play in the sixth inning after Hancock tied the game at 15-15.

“The double play was definitely the play of the game,” West End manager Mark Brown said. “It was an outstanding play and the turning point of the game.”

Hollinger stepped to the plate in the bottom of the sixth inning, after Izaiah Dillinger led off the inning with a double, and drove him in after he ripped a single.

“The leadoff double in the sixth was huge,” Brown said.

Hancock came through in the clutch in the top of the sixth, trailing 15-13. Brady Souders entered the batter’s box with two runners on and slapped a two-run single down the third-base line to knot the game.

“This was a spectacular game,” Hancock manager Wes Zirkle said. “We made some plays and it came down to the end but it didn’t go our way.”

Hancock broke the game open in the fourth inning. Gabe Stotler gave Hancock a 5-4 lead when he crushed a two-run homer deep over the fence in left-center field.

Brady Day and Garrett Russell each scored on bases-loaded walks and Josh Golden drove in two runs on a single to push Hancock’s lead to 9-4.

West End responded with four runs in the bottom of the fourth and Hancock scored just as many in the top of the fifth to keep a five-run cushion at 13-8.

West End came to life in the fifth inning, scoring seven runs. Journey Reed scored on a bases-loaded walk, Dillinger stole home and D.J. Eby scored while Shanholtz was avoiding a rundown on the first-base side.

Shanholtz then scored on Bailey Himes’s RBI single and Julius Brown’s sacrifice fly tied the game at 13-13. Himes and Moats both scored on a throwing error to give West End a 15-13 lead.

“I knew we had to fight and we came out fighting,” Brown said. “There was no quit in us. We kept chipping away. It was a crazy game.”

The Herald-Mail Articles