Angie Daley's family gets closure but question of 'why' remains

'Sometimes, it takes a while, but justice does get served,' says victim's aunt after charge filed in 1995 homicide case

June 14, 2012|By JENNIFER FITCH |
  • Sunday Gossert, left, is shown Thursday during an interview at the Pennsylvania State Police barrack in Chambersburg, Pa. Gossert and other relatives of her daughter, Angie Daley, appeared before news media as developments in the case of Angie's slaying were revealed. Ellen and Don Freeman are left of Gossert, and Franklin County District Attorney Matt Fogal sits at the end of the table.
By Kevin G. Gilbert

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. — Angie Daley’s family said Thursday that criminal charges being filed in the teen’s death provide some closure and answers, but they will continue to ask why the killing happened.

“I don’t think the question of ‘Why?’ will ever go out of our minds. Why did he do this to her?” asked Ellen Freeman, Angie’s aunt.

Angie’s father, Clarence Daley, said he will continue to question the same thing.

“What did she do that was so bad he had to kill her?” Clarence Daley asked.

In charging documents, Pennsylvania State Police said Jeffrey E. Miles Sr., 49, told them he felt the need to kill as he smoked crack with Angie. She was a 17-year-old known to leave the area on what her family called adventures.

Miles “related that Daley crossed his path ... and he smacked her in the head with a board,” police wrote in an affidavit of probable cause filed in the case.


Police allege Miles took the girl to a farm and delivered two fatal blows there after she asked for mercy.
“It’s disgusting, really, pretty sick,” Clarence Daley said.

Kathy Daley, Angie’s stepmother, called the acts horrific.

Family members sat down with The Herald-Mail for an exclusive interview following a news conference Thursday announcing the charges.

Angie would be 34 years old now, but she is forever 17 in a picture treasured by her mother.

“We can have closure, and justice is going to be served,” said Sunday Gossert, Angie’s mother.

Clarence Daley said he was “overwhelmed and relieved” when investigators told him they were filing charges.

“There is closure,” Clarence Daley said. “At least now we have her remains, and we know somewhat what happened.”

He said the two years since the skeletal remains were discovered passed much like the previous years.

“We knew they were doing DNA testing, and it was going to take a little while. After waiting 15 years, two more years really wasn’t that much. The results today were well worth it,” Clarence Daley said.

The family is in the early stages of planning for a memorial service.

Angie’s family suspected Miles committed the crime after learning two years ago he took troopers to the site. They said they never knew Miles, but Gossert believes her daughter knew him through friends.

The family repeatedly thanked law-enforcement officers for their work on the case.

“Sometimes, it takes a while, but justice does get served. The police did a wonderful job,” said Susie Staley, Angie’s aunt.

The latest developments in Angie’s case leave her relatives wondering what the future will bring for them.

“In our lives, how are we ever going to be able to forgive this guy? That’s really going to be probably the hardest thing ever,” Freeman said.

The Herald-Mail Articles