MERCERSBURG, Pa. — The following area students were among the 127 students who graduated from Mercersburg Academy at the school’s 119th commencement ceremony:
• Elina Mir of Hagerstown, who will attend George Washington University.
• Kathleen O’Malley of Hagerstown, who will attend St. Joseph’s University
• Patrick Riley of Hagerstown, who will attend Furman University.
Linh Vu of Hagerstown, who will attend the University of Maryland, College Park, was a member of the Cum Laude Society and received the President’s Education Award for Educational Excellence.
SAVANNAH, Ga. — Brandi Nicole Johnson recently earned a Master of Science degree in physical assistant studies at South University.
Johnson graduated with a 3.72 grade-point average. She has received her board certification, which she passed in March.
Johnson plans to pursue a career at Georgia Pulmonary and Critical Care Consultants, where she will work as a certified physician’s assistant.
Johnson is the daughter of Lorry Cunningham-Johnson of Norcross, Ga., and Roderick Johnson of Hagerstown. She is the granddaughter of Charles and Shirley Cunningham and Patricia and the late Robert W. Johnson, also of Hagerstown.
FORT COLLINS, Col. — Paul Stavrakas recently graduated summa cum laude in health and exercise science from Colorado State University.
Stavrakas was on the dean’s list all eight semesters, and had a 4.0 grade-point average.
Stavrakas was accepted to the University of Colorado Dental School in Denver for the fall semester.
Stavrakas is a 2008 graduate of Smithsburg High School. He is the son of Scott and Rose Stavrakas, formerly of Smithsburg.
EMMITSBURG, Md. — Bruce E. Powell recently earned a Master of Business Administration degree from Mount St. Mary’s University.
Powell graduated with honors of distinction with a 4.0 grade-point average, and earned membership to the Delta Mu Delta honor society in recognition of academic excellence in business.
Powell also is a graduate of University of Maryland and Frederick Community College and is a certified public accountant and certified management accountant.
Powell is employed as senior accounting manager by JLG Industries in Hagerstown.
Powell is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas N. Powell Sr. of Woodsboro, Md. He and his wife, Sue, live in Greencastle, Pa.
SHEPHERDSTOWN, W.Va. — Shepherd University recently recognized the following Washington County students at its 64th annual Student Recognition Day:
• Paige Albert of Hagerstown, David Robinson Scholarship for outstanding photography majors
• Shannon Anderson of Boonsboro, Freshman Class Award
• Craig Buwala of Sharpsburg, John Schmidt Award
• Emily Gilmore of Sharpsburg, Alternative Spring Break and Peer Leadership Team
• Ian Karraker of Boonsboro, Freshman Class Award
• Shane Lowery of Boonsboro, Multicultural Leadership Team
• Javier Mercado of Williamsport, Multicultural Leadership Team
• Jonathan Myers of Williamsport, Elise Hoch Award
YORK, Pa. — The following area students recently graduated from York College of Pennsylvania:
• Nathan Brown of Frederick, Md., received a Bachelor of Arts degree in professional writing.
• Samantha Brenner of Mount Airy, Md., received a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing.
• Michael Oursler of Middletown, Md., received a Bachelor of Science degree in finance.
• John Powell of Mount Airy received a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering.
• Kacie Rentz of Frederick graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in early childhood education.
• April Sparkman of Walkersville, Md., received a Bachelor of Science degree in biology.