Bond set at $100,000 for Hagerstown man charged with attempted murder

Derrick Andre Slater previously was being held without bond on charges related to stabbing of Brandon Lee Frisby

May 31, 2012|By DAN DEARTH |
  • Derrick Andre Slater
Photo submitted by Hagerstown Police Department

Bond was set at $100,000 Thursday for a Hagerstown man charged with attempted murder in the stabbing of another man Tuesday on a city street.

Derrick Andre Slater, 24, address not provided, previously was being held without bond at the Washington County Detention Center on charges related to the stabbing of Brandon Lee Frisby.

Slater appeared for a bail-review hearing Thursday via a closed-circuit television between the detention center and Washington County District Court.

Washington County Assistant State’s Attorney Rena Heneghan asked District Judge Dana Moylan Wright to continue to hold Slater without bond. She told the judge that Slater had previous brushes with the law, including drugs and weapons charges.

“He does not have a clean record,” she said.

Defense attorney Edward Button told Moylan Wright that Slater dropped out of North Hagerstown High School in the 11th grade, and receives Social Security benefits because he suffers from epilepsy and other disabilities.


He asked Moylan Wright to set a low bond, saying Slater might not have known what he was doing because he had been shot with a stun gun after he and the victim got into a scuffle.

When Slater tried to address the court at one point, Button said: “I don’t want you to say anything further.”

Hagerstown police responded at 4:19 p.m. Tuesday for a report of a stabbing at 437 Park Place, where they found Frisby, 32, lying on the sidewalk, according to the statement of charges.

Police said they later determined that Frisby had been stabbed nine times, with most of the wounds on the left side of his body.

Investigators interviewed several witnesses who said they observed an altercation between Frisby and a man later identified as Slater.

Witnesses told police that Frisby came out of 437 Park Place and confronted Slater, who was standing in the grass near the home, court documents said.

There was “tension between the two males, possibly over Frisby allegedly slapping Slater’s young daughter,” the documents said.

Police said the mother of the girl is Frisby’s sister.

Frisby had a stun gun in his hand when he came out of the residence, and the two men started arguing, the documents said. Slater then pulled the knife.

Frisby and Slater approached each other, but put away their weapons after witnesses yelled at them to fight with their fists, the documents said. The two then began to fight.

A witness told police that it appeared Frisby had Slater in a headlock and was “getting the best of Slater,” who then pulled the knife from his pocket and starting stabbing Frisby.

Witnesses told police that Slater was trying to stab Frisby “in the head with the knife.”

Frisby was transported to Meritus Medical Center for his injuries, which did not appear to be life-threatening, police said Tuesday. Meritus does not provide conditions of patients.

City police obtained a warrant for Slater’s arrest Tuesday night.

Detective Jim Hurd said police picked up Slater Wednesday at a bail-bond company in Hagerstown.

Slater was charged with one count each of attempted first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, and use of a dangerous weapon with intent to injure.

The attempted first-degree murder charge carries a life sentence. The other charges carry a maximum of 68 years in prison and $3,500 in fines.

The Herald-Mail Articles