Suspect in custody, charged in connection with Tuesday night stabbing

May 30, 2012|By C.J. LOVELACE |
  • Derrick Andre Slater
Photo submitted by Hagerstown Police Department

The suspect in a Tuesday afternoon stabbing on Park Place near Jona

than Street in Hagerstown was taken into custody Wednesday, city police said.

Derrick Andre Slater, 24, faces charges of attempted first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, and use of a dangerous weapon with intent to injure, according to the application for statement of charges.

He is charged with stabbing Brandon Lee Frisby, 32, during what witnesses told police was an altercation.

Slater turned himself in at a local bail bonds company after 11 a.m., but Hagerstown police Sgt. Jim Hurd said he could not provide an exact time.

Members of the county’s Warrant Squad took Slater into custody, Hurd said.

A conviction on a charge of attempted first-degree murder carries a maximum penalty of life in prison, according to court documents.

Slater was being held without bond Wednesday at Washington County Detention Center, a jail spokeswoman said.

A bond hearing for Slater is scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday at Washington County District Court, a spokeswoman at the courthouse said.

Hagerstown police responded to a report of a stabbing at 437 Park Place at 4:19 p.m. Tuesday, where they found Frisby lying on the sidewalk, being tended to by several bystanders, according to court documents.

Frisby was stabbed nine times, with most of the wounds on the left side of his body, the court documents said.

He had two lacerations to the right and left side of his neck, five stab wounds to the left side of his back from his shoulder to the bottom of his rib cage, one stab wound to the kidney area and one stab wound to his left buttock, the documents said.

Investigators interviewed several witnesses who said they observed an altercation between Frisby and a man later identified as Slater.

Witnesses told police that Frisby came out of 437 Park Place and confronted Slater, who was standing in the grass near the home.

There was “tension between the two males, possibly over Frisby allegedly slapping Slater’s young daughter,” the documents said.

Frisby had a stun gun in his hand when he came out of the residence, and the two men started arguing, and Slater pulled out a knife, the documents said.

Frisby and Slater approached one another as if they were going to have a physical confrontation, but witnesses yelled at both men, urging them to “put the weapons away and fist fight,” the documents said.

Both put their weapons away and began to fight with their fists, which resulted in the men wrestling on the ground, the documents said.

A witness told police that it appeared Frisby had Slater in a headlock and was “getting the best of Slater,” who then pulled the knife from his pocket and starting stabbing Frisby.

Witnesses told police that Slater was trying to stab Frisby “in the head with the knife,” the documents said.

Frisby was heard yelling, “He stabbed me,” and then witnesses saw that he was bleeding, the documents said.

Slater fled the scene on foot, running south toward West North Street, the documents said.

Frisby was transported to Meritus Medical Center for his injuries, which did not appear to be life-threatening, police said Tuesday. Meritus does not release patient conditions to the media.


Frisby was in stable condition as of 6 p.m. Wednesday and remains under observation at the hospital, Hurd said.

Police obtained a warrant for Slater’s arrest Tuesday night.

The Herald-Mail Articles