Martinsburg man sentenced in assault, burglary case

May 21, 2012|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD |

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — A man accused of beating and stabbing a man in an apparent attempt to rob him in August 2011 was sentenced to serve three to 25 years in prison Monday as part of a plea agreement.

The plea agreement also resolved charges that Michael Scott Peck, 47, broke into a house in September 2010 and stole cash, according a news release from Berkeley County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Timothy D. Helman.

Peck, of Martinsburg, pleaded no contest to burglary, malicious assault and conspiracy to commit robbery, Helman said.

Police alleged that Peck attacked a man at his Strobridge Road home in Inwood, W.Va., on Aug. 12, 2011, and on Sept. 13, 2010, broke into a Greensburg Road home near Martinsburg and stole a small amount of cash, according to Helman.

Authorities allege Peck went to the Strobridge Road home and asked the victim, who recognized the defendant as an acquaintance, if he could use his phone after telling him that his truck had broken down, according to the release. 

When the victim turned around to get a phone book, police allege Peck struck him in the back of the head with a heavy object, which was believed to be a hammer, Helman said.

After the victim fell to the ground, Peck allegedly stabbed the man in the stomach with a kitchen knife and  hit him multiple times with his fists, Helman said.

Peck fled from the home without stealing anything, but police allege he attempted to reach into the victim’s pockets as if he were looking for money or a wallet, Helman said. 

Helman indicated the victim has since recovered from the attack, which happened while his two school-age granddaughters were with him in the house. The case was investigated by West Virginia State Police Trooper B.D. French.

In the 2010 incident, police allege Peck conspired with another man to break into a home and stole a small amount of cash, according to the release.

Peck was convicted of grand larceny in 1987 and first-degree sexual abuse in 1988, according to Helman.

Helman said Peck was represented by defense attorney Robert Stone. Twenty-Third Circuit Judge Gray Silver III presided over the case.

The Herald-Mail Articles