WAYNESBORO, Pa. — Antietam Historical Association will sponsor its second annual Spring Garden Fest from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 19, at Antietam Farm, 8076 Lyons Road.
Spring Garden Fest includes nature walks, musical performances, homemade refreshments and horse-drawn carriage rides.
According to a news release, the proprietor of Maryland, Lord Baltimore, granted a patent deed for the present Antietam Farm to Jacob Gans in 1753. Ten years later, however, the survey of the Mason-Dixon line placed most of the farm in Pennsylvania.
Eventually, the land came into possession of John Funk, who probably began the present dwelling house in the first decade of the 19th century. The farm remained in the possession of Funk’s descendants until the early 20th century. At that time, Chester A. Lyon, now deceased, purchased the farm, established a herd of Golden Guernsey cattle and founded Antietam Dairy there, the release states.
C.A. Lyon continued to purchase land in the neighborhood until his holdings totaled approximately 500 acres. Following his death in 1952, his widow remained at Antietam Farm.