The Mary K. Bowman Historical and Fine Arts Fund presented 14 grants totaling $53,000 to various groups at an awards event Thursday at the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts.
The advisory board for the arts fund — a component of the Community Foundation of Washington County MD Inc. — received 17 applications requesting nearly $150,000 to provide financial support for current initiatives, fund officials said in an emailed release.
Those initiatives support the preservation of historical and cultural properties in Washington County, as well as promoting the fine arts and encouraging others to do so, the release said.
The following is a list of award recipients:
- Washington County Free Library, $4,000 to support the Historic Newspaper Indexing initiative.
- The Women’s Club of Hagerstown, $3,500 to partially fund the refurbishing of the dining room at the club.
- The Washington County Historical Society, $10,100 to support archival and artifact preservation.
- The Doleman Black Heritage Museum, $2,000 to support its efforts to provide traveling exhibits of its artifacts and displays to Washington County Public Schools.
- Washington County Rural Heritage Museum, $2,000 toward restoration of a 1934 truck to be part of the exhibit at Lehman’s Mill.
- The Maryland Theatre, $1,000 toward preservation of its historic projection room.
- San Mar Children’s Home, $2,000 to support an arts and cultural program geared for the home’s at-risk population.
- Hagerstown Aviation Museum, $2,000 for its publication, New Pegasus magazine.
- Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, $9,000 to support its summer youth art-education programs.
- The Fort Ritchie Community Center, $2,500 for Sunset on the Mountain, a Celebration of Heritage Arts.
- The Maryland Symphony Orchestra, $7,500 to continue Kinder Konzerts, a classical musical experience for preschoolers.
- The Memorial Recreation Center, $2,000 for garden beautification and restoration.
- Washington County Arts Council, $2,000 for an Art Educators Program, an opportunity for Art Educators in public schools to exhibit their work.
- The Hagerstown Day Nursery, $3,400 to fund an outing and Kinder Konzert experience for the children it serves.