Advertisement

Candle apparently ignited blaze that destroyed Rohrersville home

May 02, 2012|By CALEB CALHOUN | caleb.calhoun@herald-mail.com
  • Authorities say a candle left burning on a window frame apparently ignited a fire that destroyed this houses at 2815 Shaff Road in Rohrersville on Wednesday morning.
By Caleb Calhoun/Mobile Journalist

ROHRERSVILLE — A candle left unattended apparently caused a fire that destroyed a house at 2815 Shaff Road in Rohrersville on Wednesday morning, Maryland State Fire Marshal Ed Ernst said.

Nobody was injured.

Ernst said the fire appears to have been caused by a candle sitting on a window frame that was not put out before the lone resident of the house, Toby Wolfe, went to sleep.

"It looks like (the fire) got on some clothes, then on some furniture, and then it took off," Ernst said.

Wolfe was in the house at the time of the fire but got out in time, according to Chief Oley Griffith of the Boonsboro Volunteer Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the fire at 4:06 a.m. Wednesday. About 25 firefigters from companies in three states were at the scene, as well as the Washington County Air and Rehab Unit, Ernst said in a news release.

"It was fully engulfed when we arrived on scene," Griffith said.

Firefighters had the blaze under control at 5:14 a.m., and had put it out completely by 6:51 a.m., Griffith said.

The house, which according to Griffith is one of three houses on that property, was destroyed, Ernst said.

Advertisement

The estimated loss was $70,000 to the structure and $5,000 to its contents, according to a news release from the fire marshal's office. The Red Cross is providing assistance, the release said.

Fire companies cleared the scene by 7:45 a.m. Wednesday.

Editor's note: Corrects address of house in the first paragraph.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|