Washington County liquor officials on Wednesday imposed $1,000 fines on two establishments for selling alcohol to an undercover police agent last month.
The fines were meted out to Country Spirits at 25459 Highland Road in Cascade and Pete’s Tavern at 144 Main St. in Sharpsburg.
The Board of License Commissioners for Washington County said the fines were that high because the underage sales violations were the second for each of the businesses since 2010.
According to liquor board documents, the businesses were fined $500 for their first offense.
The alcohol checks were done by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office on March 16, according to Sgt. Robert Whittington.
On the same date, the following businesses passed alcohol compliance checks:
• Keedysville Country Store at 19409 Shepherdstown Pike in Keedysville.
• GeGe’s Place at 208 S. Church St. in Sharpsburg.
• Hillside Liquors at 19119 Keep Tryst Road in Knoxville.
• Chocolate Park Tavern at 14433 MacAfee Hill Road in Cascade.
• Cavetown Liquors at 11905 Mapleville Road in Cavetown.
• Wooden Keg at 20219 Jefferson Blvd. near Hagerstown.
• Maloo’s Pub at 11353 Robinwood Drive near Hagerstown.
• C&R Liquors at 1304 Dual Highway near Hagerstown.
— Dan Dearth