Hope E. Goins, the 3-year-old girl injured in a Wednesday afternoon apartment fire in Hagerstown, was ruled brain-dead on Friday, but was being kept on life support at R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, Hagerstown spokeswoman Erin Wolfe said Saturday.
“They’re going to make her an organ donor,” Wolfe said.
Hope’s mother, Patricia M. Goins, 43, died in the fire at 334 Summit Ave.
Two other family members also were injured — Patricia Goins’ husband, Kenneth W. Goins Jr., 50, and father, Quintin H. Coldsmith, 64.
Coldsmith remained in critical condition Saturday night at R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, according to a spokeswoman there.
Kenneth Goins was released Friday from Meritus Medical Center, Wolfe said.
Hagerstown Fire Chief W. Kyd Dieterich said Friday that the cause of the blaze appeared to be accidental, but the findings won’t be made official until evidence has been examined and witnesses have been interviewed.
The fire was reported Wednesday at 12:40 p.m. and took firefighters nearly two hours to bring under control.