Advertisement

Hagerstown teen held on $500,000 bond in Lee Street shooting

April 16, 2012|By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com
  • Eric Shaquille Baymon
Submitted photo

HAGERSTOWN — A Hagerstown teenager who Deputy State’s Attorney Joseph Michael said is part of “a reign of terror in this town” was being held Monday on $500,000 bond on allegations he was involved in a shooting last week on Lee Street.

Eric Shaquille Baymon, 19, of 42 E. Washington St., Apt. 2, is charged with first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, use of a handgun in a crime of violence, having a handgun on his person and illegally possessing a handgun, court records show. He appeared Monday before District Judge Dana Moylan for a bond review hearing by closed-circuit television from the Washington County Detention Center.

The shooting Wednesday night in the first block of Lee Street led to the arrest of Giancarlos Badia, 21, of 272 S. Potomac St., who also was being held in the detention center on $500,000 bond. Hagerstown police announced Saturday that Baymon also was charged in the incident, in which one or more shots were fired, but no one was hit.

Advertisement

Both men told police that the other pulled a gun during a drug deal, the charging documents said. However, witnesses told police that Baymon spoke about "ripping off" Badia before the transaction, according to charging documents. Afterward, Baymon told witnesses that Badia "got my gun," the documents said.

Badia told police he wrestled the gun from Baymon and pointed it at three people in a car who had driven Baymon to the meeting place, charging documents said. Badia left with the gun and gave it to another person, according to the documents. Someone later contacted police and told them where to find the gun, the documents said.

In February 2011, Baymon and Dennis S. Marshall Jr. of Hagerstown were charged as adults in an attempted robbery at Nadia Convenience Store, 200 W. Franklin St., court records show. Baymon, whose original charges in the case included armed robbery, later pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and was given a 10-year suspended sentence, according to court records.

Marshall was 16 at the time and his case was sent back to juvenile court, where a judge found insufficient evidence of his involvement in the case. Marshall, now 17, was charged with second-degree attempted murder for allegedly shooting a man downtown Oct. 17, court records show. The man he allegedly shot, Colin Wesley Williams, 19, of Hagerstown, was charged with attempted murder in an Oct. 6 stabbing downtown, but later entered an Alford plea to second-degree assault and is awaiting sentencing.

Under an Alford plea, a defendant does not admit guilt but acknowledges the defense has sufficient evidence to gain a conviction.

"Mr. Baymon and Mr. Marshall have had a reign of terror in this town," Michael told Wright. "Many recent crimes of violence can be tied in to Mr. Baymon and Mr. Marshall, their compadres and their opponents."

If found in violation of probation for the second-degree assault conviction, Baymon could face 10 years in prison, Michael told Wright.

Baymon asked Wright to lower his bail so he can see his ailing mother and his child, but Wright kept his bail at $500,000, citing public safety concerns.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|