Bond raised to $750K for man accused of kidnapping former girlfriend

April 03, 2012|By DAN DEARTH |
  • Jeremy Shane Keadle
Washington County Sheriff's Office

A Washington County District Court judge on Tuesday more than doubled the bail amount for a man accused of kidnapping a former girlfriend Sunday night in the parking lot of the Improved Order of Red Men club in Williamsport.

Judge Mark D. Thomas increased Jeremy Shane Keadle’s bond from $350,000 to $750,000 during a hearing that was held via closed-circuit television between the courthouse and the Washington County Detention Center.

Before Thomas raised the bond, Keadle asked to have the amount reduced.

“I’d like to be home with my family to see my kids,” he said.

Keadle also said he wanted to be released to take care of his sick uncle.

Keadle, 27, of 247 E. Potomac St. in Williamsport has been charged with one count each of kidnapping, carjacking, robbery, reckless endangerment, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, theft of less than $1,000, false imprisonment, stalking and two counts of second-degree assault, according to the statement of charges.


He also was charged with driving with a suspended license, driving with a revoked license, reckless driving and negligent driving.

Conviction on all the charges would result in more than 110 years in prison and/or $21,150 in fines. 

Washington County Sheriff’s Office deputies were called at 10:42 p.m. Sunday for a report of a kidnapping in progress at the Red Men’s club at 16129 Lappans Road, the charging documents said.

Deputy 1st Class Rick Kemmerer, who was in the area, drove toward the club. He found Keadle allegedly assaulting a woman near a silver van that was parked on the Interstate-81 southbound ramp from Md. 68, the documents said.

When Kemmerer got out of his vehicle, Keadle ran into the van through an open passenger door, closing it behind him, the documents said.

Kemmerer used his baton to break a window of the van as Keadle put the vehicle in drive, the documents said.

He then pointed his handgun at Keadle and ordered him to put his hands on the steering wheel. After complying, Keadle said:  “What are you gonna do? Shoot me?,” the documents said.

“Keadle then removed his hands from the steering wheel and started reaching toward DFC Kemmerer, at which time he deployed his Taser, striking Keadle with both probes,” the documents said. “Keadle’s body stiffened and he fell sideways onto the passenger seat.”

Keadle was taken to Meritus Medical Center to have a Taser probe that was stuck in his arm removed.

Deputies said an investigation revealed that the victim was an employee at the Red Men’s club and dated Keadle for about two years until they broke up late last year. The woman told deputies that Keadle had called her on numerous occasions to try to meet with her.

The victim told deputies that she and another employee had closed and clocked out on Sunday night when Keadle jumped from the bushes near the club and pulled her into her van, the documents said.

During an interview with deputies, Keadle admitted that the woman began to back away, but he “grabbed her with two hands,” the documents said.

While Keadle was driving away, the woman kicked the keys, gear shift and steering wheel in an effort to stop the van. As she did so, Keadle repeatedly elbowed her in the head, the documents said.

“She said that Keadle told her that he was taking her to West Virginia, and she thought that if he was able to get there, she believed that he would kill her,” the documents said.

The Herald-Mail Articles