Hagerstown man convicted of attempted second-degree murder in Frederick County stabbing

March 19, 2012

FREDERICK, Md. — A Frederick County Circuit jury last week convicted a Hagerstown man of attempted second-degree murder in the 2011 stabbing of a man he found with his estranged wife, according to a press release from the Frederick County State’s Attorney’s Office.

Avarice “Gino” Holman, 42, also was convicted Friday of first-degree assault, second-degree assault and malicious destruction of property under $500, the press release stated. The verdict came after a three-day trial, according to the release.

Holman was found not guilty of another second-degree assault charge involving his wife, Jeaneen Lorita Holman, State’s Attorney J. Charles Smith III said Monday.

Holman faces more than 30 years in prison on the convictions, the release said. Judge G. Edward Dwyer Jr. ordered a presentence investigation and scheduled Holman’s sentencing for May 16.

On the morning of Sept. 25, 2011, Jeaneen Holman was in a car in the parking lot of Pastimes Cafe on Buckeystown Pike with Duntel Wydell Watts, Smith said. Watts was a friend of Jeaneen Holman for more than 20 years, the release said.

Avarice Holman arrived at about 2 a.m. armed with a knife and used his vehicle to block in his wife and Watts, the release said. Watts got out of the car and was stabbed by Avarice Holman, the release said. 

Watts attempted to run and was stabbed repeatedly in the back by Avarice Holman, the release said. A witness took Watts to Frederick Memorial Hospital in her personal vehicle, and he was taken later by ambulance to R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma in Baltimore, where he remained for five days, the release said.

“The victim sustained fairly sizable permanent scars from this attack. He’s lucky to be alive,” Smith said in the release.


Watts had eight stab wounds to his neck, chest and back, the release said.

Holman was represented by Hagerstown attorney John Salvatore, the release said. Frederick County Assistant State’s Attorney Kirsten Brown prosecuted the case, according to the release.

The Herald-Mail Articles