Tech High student dies after accident on U.S. 40, near Saint Paul Road

March 19, 2012|By DAVE McMILLION and JULIE E. GREENE |
  • Quinn Hoover
Photo courtesy of the Hoover family

CLEAR SPRING — A 17-year-old Washington County Technical High School student died Sunday afternoon, hours after he was taken to Meritus Medical Center following a car accident on National Pike east of Clear Spring, Maryland State Police said.

State police identified the driver as Quinn Alec Hoover.

Hoover was on Clear Spring High School’s indoor and outdoor track teams, school officials said.

The vehicle Hoover was driving went off U.S. 40, near Saint Paul Road, Trooper 1st Class Travis Brown said Sunday morning.

The car hit a drainage ditch and went end over end, hitting a utility pole before landing on its roof in a yard, said Sgt. Tony Lida with the Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Department.

The roof was crushed and it took rescue crews about 30 minutes to remove the driver using the Jaws of Life — hydraulic spreaders and cutters — to cut the door off, Lida said.


The Buick sedan rolled over in the 13800 block of National Pike, also known as U.S. 40, just before 1 a.m., according to Washington County Emergency Services. That stretch is west of Saint Paul Road.

Lida said Hoover was taken via ambulance to Hagerstown Speedway, where the ambulance picked up a flight medic from Maryland State Police Trooper 5, a helicopter unit, and proceeded to Meritus Medical Center near Hagerstown’s East End.

Lida said Hoover was wearing his seat belt.

Jaime Mason, the indoor track coach at Clear Spring High School, said this winter was the first season that Hoover had been on her team.

Mason said Hoover wanted to be on the team to stay in shape in preparation for playing soccer at McDaniel College, which he was planning to attend.

Mason said Hoover was a hardworking and energetic track team member, and was a once-in-a-career type of athlete for a coach.

Doug McBurney, the outdoor track coach at Clear Spring High School, also had Hoover on his team.

McBurney said Hoover had only been on his team two weeks but found him to be a hard-working, positive athlete.

The Herald-Mail Articles