Advertisement

Bail raised for man charged in Hagerstown shooting

March 14, 2012|By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com

HAGERSTOWN — Bail for a man who fled to New York after being charged with attempted second-degree murder in a Sept. 29 shooting in Hagerstown was raised on Wednesday from $350,000 to $750,000 in Washington County District Court.

Lanell Weeks, 32, of 15 W. Franklin St., Apt. 3, is also charged with first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, use of a handgun in a crime of violence and three other firearms violations, according to court records.

Judge Dana Moylan Wright set Weeks’ preliminary hearing for April 11.

“I’m confident this matter is a misunderstanding. I’m confident I will be acquitted,” Weeks said during a bond-review hearing via a closed-circuit television link from the Washington County Detention Center.

Hagerstown police were dispatched to the 100 block of West Franklin Street at 11:44 a.m. on Sept. 29 for a report of shots fired, according to the application for statement of charges.

Witnesses told police that a man in a silver vehicle had been shot at by a man wearing a blue, hooded sweat shirt and blue sweat pants, the charging documents said.

Police later identified the victim as Daniel C. Hart, who was employed at a barber shop on West Franklin Street. Hart told police he had gotten into an argument in the barbershop on Sept. 28 with a man known as “Mook,” the documents said.

On Sept. 29, Hart left the barber shop and was about to drive away when “Mook” walked by, pulled a handgun from his waistband and fired a shot, the documents said. The man fled on foot.

Hart later that day identified Weeks as the alleged shooter from a photographic array, the documents said.

Weeks, who had to be extradited from New York, has a criminal record in that state, as well as Maryland, that includes drug, weapons and assault convictions, Deputy State’s Attorney Steven Kessell told the judge.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|