Man arraigned on burglary, other charges
MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — One of several people arrested in a string of burglaries investigated by police in the last few months was arraigned on multiple charges Wednesday, according to Berkeley County Magistrate Court documents.
Cody Levi Clark, 19, is charged with two counts of burglary, two counts of grand larceny, two counts of conspiracy and one count of receiving/transferring stolen property, according to court records.
Court records list Hedgesville, W.Va., and Great Cacapon, W.Va., addresses for Clark, who police allege took part in burglaries in December and earlier this month.
A flat-screen television and DVDs were taken from one of the residences, and more than $30,000 in jewelry was taken from the other residence, the documents said.
Police earlier this month said they had solved about 25 burglaries since the beginning of the year and recovered about $70,000 in stolen items.
Sobriety checkpoint planned in Jefferson Co.
MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — A sobriety checkpoint will be conducted on March 23 by members of the West Virginia State Police and Jefferson County Sheriff's Office on U.S. 340 near Wheatland road in Jefferson County, state police announced this week.
The checkpoint is set to begin at 9 p.m. and continue until 3 a.m., Saturday, March 24, First Sgt. E.D. Widmeyer of the state police said.
A secondary location will be along W.Va. 51 (Middleway Pike) near Leetown Road.
During the checkpoint, drivers will be checked for any other traffic infractions, as well, police said.
Woman, passerby thwart attempted purse snatching
A man tried to pull a purse off the shoulder of a woman walking along Dual Highway at Eastern Boulevard in Hagerstown on Tuesday morning, city police said.
The woman was able to pull away from the man in the 10:15 a.m. incident, and a motorist driving by helped her, said Detective Sgt. Jim Hurd, a Hagerstown police spokesman.
The motorist took the woman away from the scene to make sure she was safe, Hurd said.
The man was described as being white, 6-feet tall, weighing 180 pounds, and wearing a gray, hooded sweatshirt, jeans and orange-tinted sunglasses, Hurd said.
Anyone with information can call city police at 301-790-3700 or by submitting information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Washington County Sheriff’s Office reports incidents
The following incidents were reported by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office:
• At 3:27 a.m., a 1997 Dodge Neon was reported stolen in the 11800 block of Newgate Boulevard.
• At 7:36 a.m., a trailer tag was reported stolen in the 11700 block of Oriole Drive.
• At 2:55 p.m., a burglary was reported in the 1200 block of Kuhn Avenue.
• At 12:46 a.m., a motor and tools were reported stolen in the 100 block of East Main Street in Hancock.
• At 2:16 p.m., fishing equipment was reported stolen from a shed in the 17100 block of Lombard Street in Williamsport.
• At 7:01 p.m., a window was reported broken in the 1000 block of Security Road.
• At 2:57 a.m., a vehicle was reported scratched with a key in the 12900 block of Point Salem Road.
• At 6:50 a.m., a vehicle was reported damaged in the 11700 block of Peacock Trail.
• At 7:10 a.m., two tractor-trailers were reported stolen in the 1200 block of Security Road.
• At 7:12 a.m., lights were reported damaged at Ruth Ann Monroe Primary School.
• At 12:46 p.m., an iPhone was reported stolen at Williamsport Elementary School.
• At 5:02 p.m., a trailer was reported stolen in the 100 block of East Oak Ridge Drive.
• At 8:53 a.m., gas was reported stolen from a vehicle in the 11000 block of Clinton Avenue.
• At 10:02 a.m., steel was reported stolen in the 6800 block of Wheeler Road.
• At 1:59 p.m., a GPS, CDs and a wallet were reported stolen from a vehicle in the first block of Atlantic Drive.
• At 4:17 p.m., a FedEx package was reported stolen in the 15700 block of Fenton Drive.
• At 4:50 p.m., a shoplifter was reported at Valley Mall.
• At 8:52 p.m., a handgun was reported stolen in the 18300 block of Rockland Drive.