Advertisement

Fire displaces five people on Guilford Ave.

March 09, 2012
  • Firefighters on the scene of a house fire Friday afternoon at 712-714 Guilford Ave in Hagerstown. The fire displaced five people living there.
By Joe Crocetta/Staff Photographer

Five people were displaced by a fire that started in the kitchen of a home Friday afternoon in Hagerstown, according to a city fire official.

The fire was reported at about 4 p.m. in a two-story brick duplex at 712 Guilford Ave.

Grease ignited on the stove while a family member was getting ready to prepare dinner, City Fire Marshal Doug DeHaven said.

“There’s some substantial damage to the kitchen area,” DeHaven said. “The fire spread into the wall.”

Firefighters took about 15 minutes to bring the blaze under control, he said.

The fire was contained to the side of the duplex where it started, DeHaven said.

The displaced residents told fire officials that they had a place to stay.

— Dan Dearth

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|