Man charged with running meth lab at Clear Spring home arrested

March 08, 2012|By DAN DEARTH |
  • On Feb. 6, officers from the Hagerstown Police Department, the Washington County Sheriff's Office and the federal Drug Enforcement Agency converged on this house at 39 S. Martin St. to investigate a suspected methamphetamine lab in an upstairs bedroom.
By Kevin G. Gilbert, Staff Photographer

A Clear Spring man who has been a fugitive since being charged last month with allegedly operating a methamphetamine lab at his home was captured during a routine traffic stop Wednesday afternoon in Hancock.

Bryan Michael Davis, 25, of 39 S. Martin St., has been wanted since Feb. 6, when agents from the Washington County Narcotics Task Force and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration raided the house he shared with family members.

Police have said they found numerous items in Davis’ upstairs bedroom that are used to manufacture methamphetamine, including Coleman fuel, drain cleaner, syringes, coffee filters, plastic tubing, blister packs containing pills, digital scales and packaging materials.

He subsequently was charged with one count each of manufacturing a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of controlled dangerous substance paraphernalia, possession of controlled paraphernalia, possession of narcotic production equipment and maintaining a common nuisance.

Methamphetamine is a highly addictive psychostimulant drug whose manufacture can be explosively volatile.

Davis was captured at about 3 p.m. in the 100 block of East Main Street in Hancock, according to the statement of probable cause filed in Washington County District Court.

He was riding in the back seat of a black Acura when Hancock police pulled over the vehicle because another passenger wasn’t wearing a seat belt, the charging documents said.

Police said Davis allegedly gave a false name, then tried to flee when officers discovered his real identity.

“Davis made a move to go around (Chief Tim) Buskirk and I grabbed Davis, at which time I took him to the ground causing a cut to Davis’ right ear,” Officer Richard Miller wrote in the charging documents. “Davis was placed into custody and a search incident to arrest was performed.”

Officers said they searched a cargo pocket on Davis’ pants and found a large plastic bag containing a syringe, smaller plastic bags and a spoon — items commonly used to prepare and inject heroin.

Davis was charged by Hancock police with one count of possessing equipment to administer a controlled dangerous substance and two counts of possession of controlled dangerous substance paraphernalia.

If convicted on all of counts, Davis faces a maximum of 27 years in prison and $121,500 in fines.

On Thursday, Davis attended bond hearings for both cases via closed-circuit television between the Washington County Detention Center and county district court.

The bond previously had been set at $75,000 in the methamphetamine case and at $3,000 in the Hancock case.

Washington County Assistant State’s Attorney Rena Heneghan asked Judge W. Milnor Roberts to increase Davis’ bond on the methamphetamine charges, alleging that Davis was trying to set up another methamphetamine lab while he was on the run.

“I can’t even afford a $75,000 bond,” Davis told Roberts when asked to address the prosecution’s request to increase the bond. “Whatever you set it at, it doesn’t matter to me.”

Roberts granted the prosecution’s request and increased the bond to $175,000. He kept the bond on Davis’ Hancock charges at $3,000.

The Herald-Mail Articles