Two men charged in Sept. 2009 aggravated robbery and shooting of Berkeley Co. man

February 25, 2012|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD |

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — Two men were charged Friday in the September 2009 aggravated robbery and shooting of a Berkeley County man who was shot twice in the head and left for dead, according to court documents and police.

Arrest warrants issued Friday by Berkeley County Magistrate Sandra L. Miller charge Marvin Christopher Stevenson Jr. of Columbia, Md., with the attempted murder, robbery and kidnapping of James Dixon, according to court documents.

Raymond Junior Williams II also is charged with first-degree robbery and kidnapping in the incident, court documents said.

Stevenson, 27, who is incarcerated in North Central Regional Jail in Doddridge County, W.Va., is scheduled to be sentenced on March 5 for his role in the September 2010 stabbing death of a Pittsburgh man in Morgantown, W.Va., according to the Monongalia County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

Police said Friday they are unsure of Williams’ whereabouts, but his last known address is 2909 Allendale Road, Apt. 1, in Baltimore, court records said.

Dixon was found bloody and incoherent Sept. 18, 2009, about 10 a.m., two days after he had been robbed and kidnapped and then shot near his residence in the Royal Crest mobile home community, according to police and court records.

His right eye had to be removed as a result of the shooting, the records said.

A person who gave a statement to police said Stevenson held Dixon captive at gunpoint in a Washington Trails subdivision residence off Charles Town Road, where the victim went to purchase marijuana, the records said.

The victim was blindfolded, bound with rope and duct tape, and then taken back to his residence, according to court records.

Police were led to believe Dixon had about $30,000 the night he was shot, but were subsequently told that the amount was closer to $10,000, and that it was found in the victim’s vehicle, according to court records.

After arriving at Dixon’s residence, his home was searched by the suspects, but nothing was found. The victim then was escorted to the rear of his residence, and police were told that Stevenson wanted to shoot Dixon because he didn’t want any witnesses, according to court records.

The pistol that Stevenson allegedly used was a silver .25-caliber pistol with a black handle, the records said.

A statement given to police indicated Dixon was shot once, and two more gunshots were fired in quick succession after Williams had walked away and left Stevenson alone with the victim, according to court records.

Dixon was found in a seated position, unable to move in an undeveloped area, police had said.

Little more than a year after the shooting, Stevenson, along with two other men, were implicated in the Sept. 26, 2010, fatal stabbing of Terrance “Matthew” Sands, 22, in Morgantown.

Stevenson was found hiding beneath a bed in an apartment in Ranson, W.Va., by members of U.S. Marshal Service’s Mountain State Fugitive Task Force on Sept. 30, 2010.

The Herald-Mail Articles