Girl listed in critical condition after head-on crash in Boonsboro

February 21, 2012|By DAN DEARTH and CALEB CALHOUN |;
  • A Toyota Venza and a Buick LeSabre were involved in a head-on collision Tuesday in Boonsboro. A 16-year-old girl was flown to a Baltimore trauma center and two others were taken to Meritus Medical Center to be treated for injuries they suffered in the accident.
By Yvette May, Staff Photographer

BOONSBORO — A 16-year-old girl was flown to a Baltimore trauma center and two others were taken to Meritus Medical Center to be treated for injuries they suffered when a car and a sport utility vehicle collided head-on Tuesday morning on Potomac Street in Boonsboro, town police said.

The girl, whose name was not released by the Boonsboro Police Department because she is a minor, was in critical condition at R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, according to to a hospital official Tuesday night.

Officer Charles Stanford said the conditions of the two other people who were involved in the accident, Lauren Jarman, 37, of Boonsboro, the driver of the SUV and Charles Thompson, 53, of Gettysburg, Pa., who was driving the car, were unavailable.

Meritus Medical Center no longer releases the conditions of patients to the media.

The teenager taken to Shock Trauma is Jarman’s daughter, town Police Chief Jeff Hewett said earlier in the day.


Police said the accident was reported at about 8:40 a.m., when a Toyota Venza being driven east by Jarman on Potomac Street and a westbound Buick LeSabre being driven by Thompson collided.

The accident occurred in the 200 block of Potomac Street in front of the apartments that once were the old Boonsboro school.

Hewett said at the scene that the teenager, who was sitting in the back seat behind her mother, suffered head injuries and was flown by Maryland State Police helicopter to Baltimore.

He said the drivers of both vehicles were taken by ambulance to Meritus Medical Center.

Police said they would not know who was at fault until an accident reconstruction team from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office finished its investigation.

Rescuers had to free Thompson by cutting away part of the Buick.

Two of the four doors from the Buick, both on the driver’s side, were on the roadway. The Buick also had front-end damage and a shattered windshield.

The front left of the Toyota Venza was damaged, and the front bumper was loosened and partially on the road.

Boonsboro resident Kim Switlick, who lives on Potomac Street, said she and her husband heard the accident.

“We looked outside and saw two cars had crashed,” she said. “It shook me.”
Switlick, 47, said she helped the driver of the Venza get out of the car, and her husband, Larry Coren, dialed 911.

“It was just an adrenaline rush at that point,” she said.

Others also tried to help.

Kim Mozick, of King Road, was visiting a friend on Potomac Street Tuesday morning.

“We were just sitting here having coffee when we heard a big bang,” she said. “Clearly it wasn’t an ordinary noise.”

Mozick, 48, who is a nurse, said she tried to help the driver of the Buick.

“We tried to open the car door but it was jammed,” she said. “This was a pretty severe situation.”

Mozick’s friend on Potomac Street, Roben Ryberg, 50, found herself directing traffic.

“I realized there were all kinds of people helping out so I thought, ‘What can I do?’” she said. “This was awful.”

Pierre Van Delden, who lives in an apartment complex at 230 Potomac St., heard the accident, but said at first, “I thought it was the trash pick-up.”

When he realized that wasn’t the case, Van Delden said he went outside.

“Everybody outside was helping, so I wanted to make sure I didn’t get in the way,” he said. “Everyone wanted to do their part.”

The speed limit in the area of the accident is 25 mph.

The state police helicopter landed in a field near a parking lot in Shafer Park. It took off at about 9:30 a.m. with the girl on board.

Potomac Street in Boonsboro, which is Md. 34, was closed in the area of the wreck, between the Monument and Sinnisen drives, until about 10:30 a.m.

The sheriff’s office, Boonsboro Fire and Police departments and Sharpsburg ambulance were on the scene.

The Herald-Mail Articles