Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsSnow

State Highway Administration prepares for possible winter storm

February 17, 2012

The Maryland State Highway Administration is preparing for a possible winter storm this weekend, SHA spokeswoman Kellie Boulware said Friday.

"We haven't heard any final reports yet," Boulware said Friday morning. "As the day goes on, we'll adjust as we need to."

Boulware said that even if there is no storm, motorists should still be careful.

"We're still in February," she said. "People need to make sure their vehicles are in proper condition, and they need to keep their emergency service kits on them."

As of early Friday afernoon, the National Weather Service forecast for Hagerstown called for a 70 percent chance of snow Sunday, with a high of 37 degrees. There's a 30 percent chance of additional snow Sunday night, the weather service said.

Earlier forecasts predicted snow could begin falling as early as Saturday night, but by Friday afternoon the NWS was predicting cloudy skies for Saturday.

"We're not really sure what we're getting yet," Boulware said. "We will be ready if a storm comes, though."

Motorists can check the SHA's plans at www.sha.maryland.gov. They can also find out about major accidents, traffic delays, estimated travel times and weather conditions by dialing 511 or going to www.md511.org before getting in their vehicles to travel.

— Caleb Calhoun, Mobile Journalist

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|