MARLOWE, W.Va. — U.S. 11 at Grade Road was shut down for about an hour Sunday morning as fire crews responded to a 911 call for smoke in the Marlowe 7-Eleven, said Fire Capt. Denny Carter with Bedington Volunteer Fire Department.
The smoke was caused by smoldering insulation in the heating duct, Carter said.
The store was evacuated and temporarily closed until the heating could be fixed, Carter said.
No one was injured, Carter said.
The call for the smoke at the 8949 Williamsport Pike 7-Eleven, just north of an Interstate 81 ramp, came in at 10:09 a.m. Sunday and emergency crews cleared the scene by 11:53 a.m., according to Berkeley County Emergency Services.
A woman who answered the phone at the 7-Eleven said the convenience store reopened around 1 p.m. Sunday.
Carter said U.S. 11 was closed because firefighters considered laying a water line across the highway, but traffic was too heavy.