County social services department urges residents to claim tax credits

February 03, 2012

The Washington County Department of Social Services is encouraging eligible Washington County residents to claim their earned income credit and child tax credit. 

The announcement comes as the county joins in a promotional campaign titled “Your Money. You Earned it. Now claim it” that hopes to raise awareness among county residents of the availability of the tax credits, which can save up to $5,751 on  2011 tax returns. 

“These important tax credits provide a critical support to working families in our county, many of whom continue to struggle to make ends meet,” Rosalind A. Martin, assistant director of the Department of Social Services’ family investment division, said in a news release.

“By spreading the word about this important tax credit, we’re supporting working families throughout our county — and helping to bring much-needed dollars back into our local economy,” Martin said.

The earned income credit is a refundable income-tax credit for those who work and support a family. Qualifying workers can get back some or all of the federal income tax that was taken out of their pay during the year. 

For example:

  • A single person or married people, raising one child in their home in 2011 and earning less than $36,052 (if single) or $41,132 (if married) can get as much as $3,094 in earned income credit. Workers raising two children in their home who had income of less than $40,964 (or $46,964 for married workers) in 2011 can get up to $5,112.
  • Those raising three or more children in their home and had income of less than $43,998 (or $49,078 for married workers) in 2011 can get up to $5,751.
  • Workers between the ages of 25 and 64 as of Dec. 31, 2011, who were not raising children in their home and had income below $13,660 (or $18,740 for married workers) can get a credit of up to $464. 
Receiving the benefit does not affect any assistance received from Social Services. Free tax help is available by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or by going to

For more information, call Martin at 240-420-2260 or send an email to

The Herald-Mail Articles