Victim of cement quarry accident remembered as a family man

January 29, 2012|By DAVE McMILLION |
  • Herman L. "Hermie" Weaver Jr.
Submitted photo

HAGERSTOWN — A Clear Spring man who died Friday after the Bobcat loader he was operating fell into a water-filled hole at the Holcim cement plant off Security Road was identified Sunday as Herman L. “Hermie” Weaver Jr., according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

Weaver, 69, who worked for Holcim for 48 years, was operating the loader in a shallow stream in the plant’s quarry when the loader ran into the hole, according to a news release and Weaver’s obituary.

The loader became submerged and Weaver was trapped inside, police said.

Other workers who saw the accident used a large loader to pull the Bobcat out of the hole, the release said.

Weaver was unconscious and did not have a pulse, the release said.

Employees performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on Weaver until rescue crews arrived, the release said.

Weaver was taken to Meritus Medical Center where he died, the release said.

Because the quarry is considered to be a mine, an investigation is being conducted by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Mine Safety and Health Administration, the release said.

The pastor of the Blairs Valley First Church of God, which Weaver attended, said Sunday that Weaver’s mother often asked him to pray for her son’s safety.

Weaver’s mother not only asked Pastor Robert Stone to pray for her son’s safety in general terms, but in relation to his work, Stone said.

“I’m sure she’s brokenhearted about this whole thing,” Stone said.

Although Weaver, 69, did not have to work, he wanted to and enjoyed working with the other men at Holcim, Stone said.

“He never disparaged it,” Stone said.

Weaver has a son, Todd A. Weaver Sr., who works for the Maryland State Police in Rockville, Md., said Stone, adding that Weaver and his son enjoyed hunting together.

Stone said Weaver was devoted to his wife, Darlene, and they often attended special events at the church.

“They always came together. He was very much a family man,” Stone said.

The Herald-Mail Articles