Advertisement

Police chief: Men wounded in Hagerstown shootings remain hospitalized

January 25, 2012|By DAN DEARTH | dan.dearth@herald-mail.com
  • Police found a man with a gunshot wound to his head shortly after 1 a.m. Tuesday in the 300 block of North Jonathan Street in Hagerstown.
By Kevin G. Gilbert, Staff Photographer

HAGERSTOWN — Two men who were wounded in separate shooting incidents this week in Hagerstown remained hospitalized Wednesday morning, Police Chief Arthur Smith said.

Smith said a man who was shot in the chest at about 3:30 p.m. Monday at the intersection of Cannon Avenue and North Mulberry Street near Fairgrounds Park appeared to be recovering.

“I don’t think there’s much chance he’ll pass away,” Smith said.

Smith said a man who was shot in the head shortly after 1 a.m. Tuesday in the 300 block of North Jonathan Street seemed to be in more serious condition.

Police said previously they didn’t believe the shootings, which were reported fewer than 10 hours apart, were related.

Officers said a man wearing dark clothing was seen leaving  the area of the Tuesday morning shooting.

In the Monday afternoon shooting, a witness told police he saw a man running north from the shooting scene toward Broadway.

Police said that man, who was believed to be the shooter, was black, about 5 feet 10 inches tall and was wearing a purple sweatshirt and blue jeans.

Capt. Mark Holtzman said the man appeared to be in his 20s.

A motorist who was at the scene of Monday’s shooting said he heard three pops and saw a man fall.

Several Jonathan Street residents said Tuesday afternoon that they didn’t feel safe living in the neighborhood.

“I heard a gunshot,” a woman who wished to remain anonymous, said. “I came out, and all I saw was him laying on the ground.”

The woman said crime in the neighborhood already had convinced her to move.

Another woman said she was sleeping early Tuesday when she heard gunshots.

Advertisement

“It woke me up right out of my sleep,” the woman said. “I heard a pop, then someone say, ‘My homeboy got shot. My homeboy got shot. Call the paramedics.’”

The woman said she has lived on Jonathan Street since the fourth grade.

She said Tuesday’s shooting was nothing new to the neighborhood, which is one of the city’s highest crime areas.

“I grew up here,” she said. “I’m used to it.”

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|