Man charged in beating of elderly man arraigned for grand larceny

January 17, 2012|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD |

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — One of two men charged in the violent robbery and beating of a 76-year-old man in his Martinsburg-area home in November 2011 also is accused of pawning a television and other items belonging to his girlfriend’s family, according to court documents.

Tyler Shane Munson, 20, of Bunker Hill, W.Va., was arraigned Monday by Berkeley County Magistrate Harry L. Snow on one felony count of grand larceny, the court documents said.

The father of Munson’s girlfriend told police that multiple items worth more than $2,000 were taken on Nov. 23 from his Specks Run Road residence, the documents said.

The girlfriend told police that Munson pawned the television in Winchester, Va., and that he took the items, including a firearm, while she was sleeping, the documents said.

Five days after the theft, Munson and another man allegedly invaded the Winchester Avenue home of an elderly man and took money from the victim’s pants pocket, collectible coins and laptop computers after he was assaulted, court records said.

The victim was struck several times in the head and arms in the attack, which left blood on the wall and soaking into a recliner at the residence, police have said.

Multiple felony charges that were filed against Munson and Evan Russell Shirley, 22, also of Bunker Hill, after the home-invasion-style robbery are still pending in magistrate court, court records said.

Both men remain incarcerated at Eastern Regional Jail, according to jail records.

Earlier this month, Snow denied a motion filed to modify Shirley’s $200,000 cash-only bond, court records said.

Meanwhile, Munson was sentenced last month to three consecutive terms of one to 10 years in state prison for unrelated cases of burglary and grand larceny.

At his sentencing hearing, Munson admitted to taking a dirt bike from the garage of a Bunker Hill resident and stealing his grandfather’s 55-inch television in 2010.

He also admitted to concealing more than $1,000 worth of stolen items in a third case that had yet to be presented to a grand jury.

The Herald-Mail Articles