Advertisement

Woman escapes apartment fire

January 11, 2012

Discarded smoking materials in a couch caused a fire Wednesday in an eighth-floor apartment in Potomac Towers at 11 West Baltimore St. in Hagerstown, city fire officials said.
 
A 60-year-old woman in the apartment awoke and saw the fire in the couch at 1:35 p.m., Hagerstown Fire Marshal Doug DeHaven said.

The woman, who uses an electric scooter, was able to crawl to the scooter and escape the apartment, DeHaven said.

The apartment’s sprinkler system was activated, and the fire was contained to the couch, DeHaven said.

The woman was taken to Meritus Medical Center for minor smoke inhalation, he said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|