G.I. Jobs magazine names HCC one of nation's most veteran-friendly schools

January 06, 2012|By DAN DEARTH |
  • Hagerstown Community College recruitment coordinator Kevin Crawford talks about the opportunities for military veterans at an informational session on Friday.
By Ric Dugan/Staff Photographer

Hagerstown Community College, recently named one of the nation's most veteran-friendly schools, held a seminar Friday to provide those who served with a better understanding of their military benefits.

A little more than a dozen people attended the informational session that was hosted by college officials at the Merle S. Elliott Continuing Education and Conference Center.

"We want to become as military friendly as we can," HCC President Guy Altieri said.

HCC was named a 2012 Military Friendly School by G.I. Jobs magazine, a publication that helps soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines make the transition from military to civilian life.

The list features 1,518, or 20 percent, of the 8,000 schools in the nation that are doing the most to embrace America's veterans.

Altieri told the veterans that HCC has helped service personnel start working on their college education while they were still on active duty.

"Online courses are one of the largest areas of growth," Altieri said. "They can start before they're discharged, regardless of where they're stationed. They can start programs and finish programs from bases all over the world — even in combat zones."

Kevin Crawford, HCC recruitment coordinator, said that in some cases, veterans can transfer their military training to college credits.

Among other things, HCC offers a two-year associate degree and one-year certification programs, Crawford said.

The cost of tuition is $106 per credit for Washington County students; $161 per credit for students who live elsewhere in Maryland; and $212 per credit for out-of-state students.

Crawford said the staff at HCC is trained to help veterans schedule classes, obtain financial aid and learn about other military benefits.

To get started, veterans have to fill out a free application and send it to the college's Office of Admissions and Registration, Crawford said. They will need their DD-214 discharge form to verify military service.


To learn more, visit, or

The Herald-Mail Articles