Three in custody after standoff at Guilford Avenue home

According to Hagerstown police, three intruders made man clean their vehicle to pay off debt

December 31, 2011|By DAN DEARTH |
  • Hagerstown and Washington County Special Operations officers surrounded a house in the 400 block of Guilford Avenue in Hagerstown Friday evening after receiving reports of a situation involving a weapon.
By Kevin G. Gilbert, Staff Photographer

HAGERSTOWN — The Washington County Special Response Team took three people into custody following a 90-minute standoff Friday night at a home on Guilford Avenue in Hagerstown.

In a news release issued early Saturday, the Hagerstown Police Department identified the three as Jacob Malachi Adams, 21, of Hagerstown; Andre Isiash-Robert Washington, 18, of Hagerstown; and Torez Anthony Tanner, 29, of Hagerstown.

Adams was charged with various handgun violations, drug trafficking charges and burglary, while Washington and Tanner each were charged with one count of fourth-degree burglary, according to the release.

According to a preliminary investigation, three people with a small-caliber pistol went to an apartment at 401 Guilford Ave. because the man who lived there owed them money, Smith said.

The intruders made the man go outside to clean their vehicle when he told them that he didn't have the cash, City Police Chief Arthur Smith said. As they waited inside, a female acquaintance of the man who lived at the apartment was hiding in a closet and called police on a cellphone.

The police department began blocking off streets to the three-story apartment building shortly before 6 p.m. Almost an hour later, the Special Response Team pulled an armored vehicle into an alley to the rear of the home and shined spotlights through the windows.

With laser-sighted weapons pointed at the building, police used a loud speaker to demand that the people come out.

At about 7:05 p.m., two people emerged from the rear of the house with their hands up. Special Response Team officers wearing body armor then entered the home.

Smith said all three of the alleged intruders surrendered without incident.

Vernie Purdham, who lives at 403 Guilford Ave., said she returned from shopping at Walmart and saw her home surrounded by police.

She said officers told her to stand on nearby Summit Avenue, where it was safe.

"They said it would be a while," she said.

Purdham said she has lived at her apartment for about three years and has noticed a lot of criminal activity in the area.

She said a man tried to grab her in the backyard of her home on Friday morning as she was letting her dog outside, but the animal barked and scared him away.

"I gotta get out of here," she said.

The Herald-Mail Articles