Advertisement

Last case withdrawn against convicted sex offender

In August, Charles Selby III was convicted by a jury on 24 criminal counts

December 29, 2011|By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com

Already sentenced to serve a total of 200 years on previous convictions for child sexual abuse, Charles Selby III of Hagerstown will not be tried on the remaining criminal case against him, county prosecutors said Thursday.

Washington County Assistant State's Attorney Brett Wilson told Washington County Circuit Judge Donald E. Beachley  that the prosecution wanted to withdraw the last case "based on the outcome of his recent trial .... and the desire not to put the victims through another trial."

In August, Selby was convicted by a jury on 24 criminal counts. Those included nine counts of sex abuse of a minor for which he received consecutive 20-year sentences on  Nov. 30. Those charges involved the sexual abuse of a girl  from about 2006 to 2008.

Selby had been convicted in 2009 of making child pornography and other sex offenses involving two teenage girls. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison, according to court records.

The remaining case dropped Thursday involved two counts of child sex abuse. The victims were the girl who was also the victim in the case tried in August and a boy, court records said.

"The families agreed enough is enough," Wilson said outside the courtroom. "There's no reason to subject those children to another trial."

Selby's former wife, Jessica Selby, entered guilty pleas in 2009 to making child pornography and sex offenses and was sentenced to 16 years in prison.

Earlier this year, she also pleaded guilty to sex abuse charges involving the girl Charles Selby was convicted in August of molesting.

Jessica Selby, who testified against for ex-husband in that trial, was sentenced to another 15 years in prison.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|