Advertisement

Candle causes fire that damages Burnside Avenue home

No one was hurt, but the blaze caused $70,000 in damage

December 29, 2011|By DAVE McMILLION | davem@herald-mail.com
  • A fire caused by a candle burning too close to combustible materials resulted in about $70,000 in damages to a single-story brick home on Burnside Avenue Thursday afternoon, according to fire officials.
By Joe Crocetta, Staff Photographer

HALFWAY — A fire caused by a candle burning too close to combustible materials resulted in about $70,000 in damages to a single-story brick home on Burnside Avenue Thursday afternoon, according to fire officials.

The fire burned through a back section of the house, but the people inside were able to escape safely, said Chief Ed Ernst of the Volunteer Fire Co. of Halfway.

Firefighters were able to enter the front of the house with a water line to help extinguish the blaze, Ernst said.

The fire, which was brought under control in about 25 minutes, was reported at 3:44 p.m., according to Ernst and a 911 dispatcher.

Firefighters had to deal with a hazardous situation at the scene when a power line dropped to the ground in back of the house at the time of the fire, Ernst said.

Although the house can be repaired, the occupants of the home could not stay there Thursday night, and the Red Cross was helping them find housing, he said.

Ernst said he did not know how many people lived in the house.

The owner of the house at 17729 Burnside Ave. is listed as Anthony St Angelo Jr., according to a state Department of Assessments and Taxation website.

The house is in an area off Virginia Avenue that is known as Greenberry Hills.

About 38 firefighters from Halfway, Funkstown, Hagerstown and other departments helped battle the blaze, he said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|