Advertisement

Chimney fire in Sharpsburg closes Main Street

December 26, 2011

SHARPSBURG — A chimney fire at a house on Main Street in Sharpsburg closed the street to traffic for more than an hour Monday night as firefighters battled the blaze.

Firefighters were called to the 100 block of Main Street for the fire at about 8:05 p.m., a Washington County 911 dispatcher said.

Deputy Fire Chief Chris Mullendore of the Sharpsburg Volunteer Fire Co. said the fire was in the home’s chimney but extended into the wall and slightly under the chimney.

The older home sustained an estimated $2,000 in damage from the fire, Mullendore said.

“It was just a hassle to get to where the fire was,” he said. “We had to tear up the floor and take out some wall to get to it.”

The fire extended into the insulation of the wall and under the chimney on the first floor, he said.

No one was injured, and the home’s occupants were not displaced, Mullendore said.

In addition to Sharpsburg, firefighters from Boonsboro, Shepherdstown (W.Va.) and Fairplay worked to bring the fire under control, he said.

— Kate S. Alexander

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|