Advertisement

Kerosene heater might have caused fire that killed Ranson man

December 22, 2011|By DAVE McMILLION | davem@herald-mail.com

RANSON, W.Va. — An early morning fire on Wednesday that killed a man might have been started by a kerosene heater, according to the chief of the Independent Fire Co.

The kerosene heater was between a living room and a kitchen in a mobile home at 1026 N. Mildred St., where the man lived alone, Donald Longerbeam said Thursday.

When firefighters responded to the 2:33 a.m. fire, flames had broken through the roof of the home and fire was coming out windows, Longerbeam said.

Firefighters attacked the blaze at the front door and the man was found inside close to the door, Longerbeam said.

Longerbeam said the man might have been trying to get out of the house.

Longerbeam said he could not release the identity of the man Thursday night because he was not sure if all of the man's family members had been notified.

The mobile home, which is behind Blackford's Service Center across from Apple Tree Gardens apartments, was considered a total loss, Longerbeam said.

About 33 firefighters fought the blaze and authorities were at the scene until about 6 a.m., Longerbeam said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|