Three charged with burglary after armed home invasion in Hagerstown

Police chief says incident was not a robbery but an argument about a phone

December 21, 2011|By DAN DEARTH |

Hagerstown police spent a good part of the day Wednesday trying to piece together a home-invasion case that Police Chief Arthur Smith called "illogical" and one of the most "unusual" crimes he has ever seen.

Three Hagerstown residents who police allege forced their way into a Chestnut Street home at gunpoint Tuesday night have been charged with burglary and other counts, city police said.

Jeremy Gundy, 19, of 128 Ray St., and Richard Glenn Arvin III, 30, and Sadie Harvey, 24, both of 127 Ray St., were charged with one count each of first-degree burglary, third-degree burglary, fourth-degree burglary, first-degree assault, second-degree assault and reckless endangerment, according to police.

All three were being held Wednesday in the Washington County Detention Center.

Bond was set at $450,000 for Harvey and $400,000 for Arvin, according to a deputy at the jail. Gundy was being held without bond.

The police department is also looking for two additional suspects in the case.

The same charges were filed in warrants against Elijah Rendell Herring and Dimitric Douglas Winston, Smith said. Their ages and addresses were unavailable.

Smith said the incident was not a typical home-invasion case because the alleged assailants were not after money. He said police believe the incident began over an argument about a phone.

"This wasn't a robbery," Smith said. "It was just a dispute that was going on all day .... It's not clear what started this. I know there was a phone involved, but that's all I can tell you. This is so illogical .... This thing makes no sense."

Smith said the trouble came to a head at about 8:20 p.m., when Gundy, Arvin, Harvey, Herring and Winston allegedly went to the victim's house at 544 Chestnut St. and kicked in the door.

Both parties pointed guns at each other until the home invaders left, Smith said. The victim, whose name was not released by police, identified the suspects to police, who went to Ray Street and waited for them to get home, he said.

"Patrol actually got there before they got home," Smith said. "It was a fairly unusual situation. I don't know why they thought they could do this, and this guy wouldn't call the police."

Chestnut Street runs parallel to Maryland Avenue on the South End of Hagerstown.

The Herald-Mail Articles