One Mountain Foundation held its inaugural tree lighting Saturday.
Cascade Elementary School's Holiday Singers performed, and the students were really excited to do the show.
The event included games, refreshments and a visit from Santa, who waved his arms to turn on the lights of the outdoor tree.
Thanks go to:
- Warren, Shawn, Chris, Gary, Keith, Nina and Rodney for decorating the tree in the muddy field on Thursday.
- PenMar Development Corp. for purchasing the lights.
- Kirsten, Bethany, Karen, Kim and Bev for running the games.
- Nina, Alice, Heather and Bev for the refreshments, and especially Mountain Gate Family Restaurant for the hot chocolate.
- The Cascade Elementary Holiday Singers, accompanied by a young trumpet player, and to Jen Hord who teaches music.
- Corporate Office Properties Trust for allowing the group to decorate a tree on the former parade grounds.
- Bob Spence and the Fort Ritchie Community Center board of directors for allowing One Mountain Foundation to hold another community event in the center.
- Bev Coyle, who organized the tree-lighting event.
Christmas concert planned Saturday
The 19th annual Christmas concert by Hagerstown Choral Arts will be held Saturday, beginning at 4 p.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church, 15 Randolph Ave. in Hagerstown.
Sixty volunteer singers have rehearsed since September to prepare this year's selection of Christmas compositions.
Hagerstown Choral Arts is under the artistic direction of Paul Gregory Shook.
Due to the support from the city of Hagerstown, Washington County Arts Council, Maryland Arts Council, SuperShoes, member dues and other individual donations, there is no charge for admission.
A freewill offering will be collected to help defray the costs of the concert.
For more information, go to www.hagerstownchoralarts.org.
Smithsburg senior site calendar:
- Today — "Add One to Every Meal — More Fruits and Vegetables," 10 a.m.
- Friday — "Trivial Pursuit" and chair exercise, 10 a.m.
- Monday, Dec. 12 — "Have Your Cake and Eat It, Too," 10 a.m.
The Cascade Elementary School PTA will meet Thursday to plan upcoming events, including family movie night and the spring bingo fundraiser.