Advertisement

Electrical malfunction caused $150K fire at Londontowne complex

December 05, 2011

HAGERSTOWN — An electrical malfunction in an appliance started a fire that caused $150,000 in damages to a home Saturday in the Londontowne apartment complex east of Hagerstown, the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office said.

The fire was reported at 3:14 p.m. at 516 Bentley Court, where the appliance caught fire in an interior dining room, according to a fire marshal’s office news release. Damages were estimated at $130,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents.

Eric Fraley, deputy chief of Funkstown Volunteer Fire Co., said Saturday at the scene that the fire was fully involved when firefighters arrived. He said there was smoke and water damage to the apartment where the fire started and smoke damage to neighboring apartments.

The fire marshal’s office said the Red Cross was helping several occupants who were displaced by the fire.

Sixty-five firefighters took about 30 minutes to get the fire under control, the release said.

Firefighters from Funkstown, Hagerstown, Halfway, Mount Aetna, Long Meadow, Boonsboro, Fairplay and Smithsburg responded to the scene.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|