Advertisement

Hagerstown teenager charged as adult with attempted first-degree murder held without bail

December 05, 2011
  • Matthew David Smith
Matthew David Smith

A Hagerstown teenager charged as an adult with attempted first-degree murder in a Saturday night stabbing, continued to be held without bail following a bond review hearing Monday in Washington County District Court.

Matthew David Smith, 17, of 321 N. Locust St., is accused of stabbing Nelson N. Fuentes, 23, a resident of an Arc of Washington County home in the 1000 block of Marshall Street, according to a Hagerstown police news release and the statement of probable cause. Fuentes was stabbed 19 times in the back and abdomen, the charging document said.

The wounds were not life-threatening, police said.

Smith had been found delinquent of assault on three occasions in 2008, 2009 and 2010, Assistant State's Attorney Elizabeth Carranza told District Judge Dana Moylan Wright. She asked Wright to set bail no lower than $750,000, but Wright said Smith would continue to be held without bond.

"He intended to do what he did. He told people where he was going," Carranza told Wright.

Fuentes and an ARC staff member were on the front porch of the residence Saturday before 10:45 p.m. when several people came to the house, among them a female who told Fuentes her boyfriend, Smith, was mad at him and coming to the residence, the charging document said.

While they were talking, Smith and three other males were seen approaching the house and Fuentes and the staff member ran inside, but Smith forced his way in and began stabbing Fuentes, the charging document said.

Smith later was taken into custody in the 400 block of South Potomac Street, the charging document said. He allegedly told investigators "he was angry at Fuentes for hanging out with his girlfriend, the document said.

Smith also is charged with first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, carrying a concealed dangerous weapon, and first- and third-degree burglary, court documents said.

Wright told Smith he is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Dec. 15.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|