Advertisement

Unattended cooking blamed for apartment fire

November 22, 2011

Unattended cooking caused a fire that raged through an apartment building and displaced at least nine people Monday evening on West Washington Street in Hagerstown, City Fire Marshal Doug DeHaven said.

DeHaven said the fire was reported at 6:11 p.m. in a four-unit apartment building at 812-814 W. Washington St.

The American Red Cross was called to provide assistance to at least nine people who were living in the building, DeHaven said.

“It looks like they’ll be displaced for a significant amount of time,” he said. “There was quite a bit of roof damage.”

DeHaven said none of the occupants was injured, but one firefighter was taken to Meritus Medical Center near Hagerstown to receive treatment for a medical problem.

Firefighters spent roughly 3 1/2 hours at the scene, DeHaven said.

He said firefighters from Hagerstown and Halfway were among the agencies that responded to the call.

— Dan Dearth

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|