Chisholm sparks Hawks' second-half comeback

November 21, 2011|By BOB PARASILITI |

HAGERSTOWN — Simply stated, Alister Chisholm made up for lost time.

In the process, the Hagerstown Community College men’s basketball team made up for a lost lead.

Chisholm was the lightning rod in the middle of a strong defensive effort by the Hawks in the second half as HCC took the game away from Montgomery College-Rockville on Monday to score a 107-97 Maryland JuCo Conference victory at the HCC athletic complex.

Chisholm played all of 25 seconds in the first half as he took two quick fouls in the first minutes of the game to bench himself. The sophomore used the additional rest to his advantage in the second half by scoring all 19 of his points when he wasn’t changing the momentum of the game with his defense.

“I felt like I let my team down in the first half,” Chisholm said. “I got two quick fouls — two dumb fouls — early. That just fired me up in the second half. That’s all I needed. I knew I had to do everything I could to pick the team up to get the win.”

The Hawks (6-0, 2-0) made a huge statement to start the second half. In a game where Rockville’s pace controlled the first half, HCC’s halfcourt defense took it back in the last 20 minutes.

“We went out and wanted to run with (Rockville’s Chris Gee and Alex Chike) in the first half,” said HCC coach Barry Brown. “They didn’t come out much in the first half. In the second half, we got their legs a little.”

HCC snapped it up early. The Hawks scored the first 15 points of the second half to turn a 54-47 halftime deficit into a 62-54 lead. In Rockville’s first seven possessions of the second half, it turned the ball over four times, missed a shot and lost the ball on a pair of steals by Chisholm.

“Alister is a second-half player,” Brown said. “He loves to be in there with the game on the line. He wants to be in there. He was extra fresh today because he didn’t play much the first half. He had the hot hand and was making the big plays.

“What Alister did in the second half just proves how explosive he is.”

In all, HCC ran off a 19-0 run on Rockville that covered a 4:38 span over the two halves. Rockville looked to be pulling away with a 14-1 run in the closing minutes of the first half for a 54-43 lead. But HCC scored the last four points before halftime, before the run to start the final 20 minutes as the Hawks took control.

Rockville hung around until an 11-1 burst starting at the 6-minute mark gave HCC a 100-85 lead with 4:01 remaining — a flurry which was fittingly finished with a Chisholm rebound and layup.

“We played good solid defense in the second half and settled down,” Brown said. “We played at two different speeds today. I told them at the half that we were going to commit to it. This is an intelligent group. They usually see what’s going on and know what they have to do.”

Antonio Jenifer led the Hawks with 20 points — most coming in the first half. Raymar Watson joined Chisholm with 19, while Devin Miller had 15 and Tione Womack finished with 13. They were the starting five for the second half.

Erick Satchell had 22 points to lead Rockville, while Chike finished with 20.

“This is a good win because we came from behind,” Brown said. “It shows that we understand that we have to play a 40-minute game. I would have rather had a blowout, but this was a good win against a quality team.”

The Herald-Mail Articles