Advertisement

Fire at Fil-Tec Inc. causes minor damage

November 15, 2011

SMITHSBURG —  A machine fire at Fil-Tec Inc. on Mapleville Road in Smithsburg was quickly extinguished Tuesday evening, officials said at the scene.

Chuck Johnson, deputy fire chief of the Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co., said the fire started in a machine that makes nylon thread.

The fire was initially called out at 7:57 p.m., a Washington County 911 dispatcher said.

First units on the scene were able to control the fire with a few fire extinguishers, and it only took about 15 minutes for it to be put out, Johnson said.

There was minimal damage to the machine, and the fire did not extend into other areas of the building, he said.

In addition to Smithsburg, firefighters from Waynesboro, Leitersburg, Mt. Aetna and Boonsboro, as well as Smithsburg EMS, responded to the call, Johnson said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|