Advertisement

Kitchen fire damages Summit Ave. apartment

November 14, 2011
  • Firefighters responded to a kitchen fire at an apartment building at 220 Summit Ave. in Hagerstown on Monday morning.
By Dan Dearth/Staff Writer

HAGERSTOWN — The Hagerstown Fire Marshal’s Office was investigating a fire that started in the kitchen of an apartment Monday morning at 220 Summit Ave., Fire Chief W. Kyd Dieterich said.

Dieterich said the fire, which was reported at about 9 a.m., took firefighters only a few minutes to get under control.

“We can’t tell if the apartment was occupied or if we have a squatter,” Dieterich said. “The inside was a mess.”

The fire started in the kitchen at the rear of the apartment. The stove top and a small portion of the wall behind the stove were charred.

Firefighters blocked off the 200 block of Summit Avenue while firefighters worked at the scene.

Firefighters began rolling up hoses at about 9:15 a.m., and fans were being used to ventilate the building.

— Dan Dearth

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|