Hagerstown man indicted in death of two-year-old boy

Brian Michael Miller is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Logan Jace Sellers

November 02, 2011|By DAN DEARTH |
  • Miller

A Washington County grand jury has indicted a Hagerstown man on murder charges in the death of his girlfriend's 2-year-old son, who clung to life for five days after being injured Oct. 5 at a McComas Street home.

Brian Michael Miller, 33, of 360 Buena Vista Ave., was charged in the indictment with first-degree murder in the death of Logan Jace Sellers, who died Oct. 10 at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., county Assistant State's Attorney Brett Wilson said Wednesday.

Miller also was indicted on charges of first-degree child abuse resulting in death and first-degree assault, Wilson said.

In addition, the grand jury indicted Miller on three counts of second-degree child abuse in connection with previous assaults against the boy in August and October.

Miller previously had been charged in the case with one count each of first-degree child abuse, second-degree child abuse, first-degree assault, second-degree assault and reckless endangerment.

Wilson said prosecutors didn't rush filing murder charges against Miller because they believed he wouldn't be able to post the $750,000 bond. As a result, they sent the case to the grand jury to get an indictment.

"There was no likelihood of him being released," Wilson said. "We put it to the grand jury instead."

Miller told Hagerstown police last month that Logan was upstairs at 133 McComas St. on the evening of Oct. 5, and "trashed" a bedroom, according to the application for statement of charges. Miller told police he grabbed the boy and pushed him down, causing the child's face to hit the floor.

Police listed Miller's address as 360 Buena Vista Ave. in Hagerstown, but the documents said he was living with Logan's mother, Amanda Sellers, at the McComas Street address and was taking care of the boy.

Miller's bond originally was set at $500,000, but was increased to $750,000 by Washington County District Court Judge Mark D. Thomas.

Logan Sellers was taken to Meritus Medical Center by Miller on Oct. 5, the charging documents said. Medical staff told police that Logan "had a bleeding brain injury and his cardiovascular functions were being assisted by medical equipment."

The boy was later flown to Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

Amanda Sellers told police she had gone to school earlier in the afternoon and left her son with Miller. Before she left school, Miller called her and said Logan was not breathing, and he was taking him to the hospital, the documents said.

Miller told Amanda Sellers that Logan was resting upstairs and that he carried the boy downstairs and put him on the couch while he prepared dinner. He later saw the boy was not breathing and called 911, the documents said.

Miller later told police he placed Logan on the couch and "saw him jerk and get very rigid, make some kind of unusual sound, and then stop breathing," the documents said. He called 911 and followed instructions to perform cardio-pulmonary resuscitation until the ambulance arrived.

A doctor at Children's National Medical Center said Logan had swelling of the brain "as well as what he believed was a lack of oxygen to the brain for a period of time," the documents said.

The medical staff at Meritus had photographed Logan's injuries, which showed bruising and abrasions to his face, the documents said.

The Herald-Mail Articles