Hagerstown man accused in stabbing is in hospital

Police could not confirm if Colin Wesley Williams was man wounded in downtown shooting

October 20, 2011|By DON AINES |

A Hagerstown man has been charged with attempted first-degree murder in an Oct. 6 stabbing, but was unable to appear for a bond-review hearing Thursday because he is in the hospital, authorities said.

Colin Wesley Williams, 18, of 821 W. Washington St., was also charged Tuesday with attempted second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and possession of a deadly weapon with intent to injure, according to court records.

Williams was unavailable for the bail hearing in Washington County District Court because he was hospitalized, Assistant State's Attorney Elizabeth Carranza said.

Sgt. Jim Hurd of the Hagerstown Police Department said Thursday he could not confirm whether there was a connection between the stabbing Williams is charged with and a downtown shooting on Monday. Hurd also could not confirm whether Williams was the 18-year-old man wounded in that shooting.

Police Thursday were still seeking Dennis Marshall Jr., 16, of Hagerstown, in connection with the shooting, Hurd said.

Williams was charged with a stabbing incident that began in the area of the 100 block of North Burhans Boulevard earlier this month, police said.

Officers went to Meritus Medical Center shortly after 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 6, where Malik Scott was being treated for two stabs wounds to the left side of his chest and another to his back, according to the application for statement of charges filed by Hagerstown police.

Scott told police that he and a friend, Kenyon Bey, were walking on West Franklin Street near the police department when a male and female riding bicycles stopped them, the charging documents said. They asked Scott and Bey if they "were good?," the documents said.

Bey told police he and Scott walked away from the pair and were in the parking lot of Goodwill, 161 N. Burhans Boulevard, when they were approached by the same male and female. Bey said the female pulled a knife and approached him, and he punched her in the face several times before he and Scott fled west up George Street, the documents said.

Bey and Scott again encountered the male and female, now both armed with knives, near the intersection of George and High streets, the documents said. Bey and Scott split up and ran, meeting back at Scott's grandmother's home on West Franklin Street, the documents said.

Scott told police that while fleeing, he stumbled on the sidewalk and, as he attempted to pull himself up at a fence, was stabbed, the documents said.

Bey believed Scott's assailant went by the street name "Murder." Scott told police that the woman initially asked them if they knew "Bam Bam," whom the female said they had just beaten up.

On Oct. 14 on High Street police spoke with the woman, who was identified in the charging documents, and a man identified as Williams. He told police his nickname was "Murda," and police took a digital photo of him, the documents said.

Bey was later shown a photographic array from which he picked Williams, identifying him as the male he knew as "Murder," the documents said.

While the charges listed Williams as having a Hagerstown address, he gave police a Bronx, N.Y., address when charged with malicious destruction of property in August. In September, he was charged with driving without a license and giving a false name to police.

The Herald-Mail Articles