Huskies too much for Saints

October 15, 2011|By JACK HILL III | Staff Correspondent

ST. JAMES — The Flint Hill Huskies took control early against Saint James and never let go, blanking the Saints 49-0 Saturday afternoon in a Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference football game.

“Flint Hill is probably one of the top teams in the conference,” Saint James coach Juwuane Sandridge said. “We knew they were going to be good. Flint Hill was very talented on offense, defense and special teams.”

Flint Hill (5-1, 1-0) outgained Saint James (1-6, 0-3) in total yards 298 to 61. The Huskies got 19 first downs, while the Saints only had four.

“We wanted to fundamentally do the things that we wanted to do the right way,” said Flint Hill coach Michael Wright, whose team led 34-0 at halftime. “We were just solid all-around. It’s always nice to get off to a good start. It helps your team to keep the intensity up. I’m happy that we have 22 seniors. Senior leadership is good to have. The seniors are doing a very nice job of guiding the team.”

Flint Hill, from Oakton, Va., was led in its running game by a pair of juniors. Conor Chess gained 165 rushing yards on 15 carries, while Jerrod Reed ran for 70 yards on nine carries.

Flint Hill got on the scoreboard with 7:27 remaining in the first quarter.

Andy Rehberger threw a 2-yard touchdown pass to Kevin McNerney to the right side, and Hunter Windmuller kicked the extra point for a 7-0 Huskies lead.

Reed charged through the middle for a 1-yard touchdown run and Windmuller added the extra point for the Huskies with 4:28 to go in the opening period.

Chess had a 4-yard touchdown run up the middle and Windmuller had the extra point with 1:30 left in the first quarter for Flint Hill.

Rehberger fired a 20-yard touchdown pass to McNerney through the middle and Windmuller kicked the extra point with 11:31 remaining in the second quarter to boost the Huskies’ lead to 28-0.

Chess dashed along the right sideline for a 40-yard touchdown run with 23 seconds to go in the first half to give Flint Hill a 34-0 halftime lead.

Chess added a 3-yard touchdown run through the middle and Reed kicked the extra point for the Huskies with 7:55 left in the third quarter.

Ben Kase scored a touchdown on a 55-yard interception return along the right side for Flint Hill with four minutes remaining in the third quarter for his second interception of the game.

The Huskies completed their scoring with 3:30 to go in the fourth quarter as they got a safety when Cameron Blackwell sacked the quarterback in the end zone.

“One thing that I liked was that we did not quit no matter what the score was,” Sandridge said. “We showed a lot of heart. We know that progress is a process. It is going to take us a while to get where we want to be. Once we start cutting down on our penalties, we should have more success. When we have offensive penalties, that kills our drive.”

The Herald-Mail Articles