Two vehicles damaged in crash on Summit Avenue

Accident pushes truck behind laundromat

September 29, 2011|By CALEB CALHOUN |
  • A Chevrolet Aveo with heavy front-end damage came to rest along the curb of Summit Avenue following a crash Thursday morning.
By Lesa Selders

HAGERSTOWN — An accident in the 100 block of Summit Avenue in Hagerstown Thursday morning apparently pushed a parked Nissan pickup truck through a laundromat parking lot, over a curb and across a grassy strip, where it came to rest behind the laundromat, according to a witness.

The driver of a northbound Chevrolet Aveo, Sabrina Sherie Shank, 25, of 10724 Downsville Pike, Hagerstown, left her lane of travel and struck the pickup truck, according to Sgt. Eric Knode of the Hagerstown Police Department.

Knode said Thursday afternoon that officers were still trying to determine what caused Shank's car to hit the pickup truck.

Shank was taken to Meritus Medical Center for what appeared to be non life-threatening injuries, Knode said. A hospital spokeswoman said Thursday afternoon that Shank was still being evaluated at the hospital.

A witness, Herald-Mail employee Jeff Cunningham, said he was working in the newspaper's nearby parking lot at 100 Summit Ave. when he heard the wreck.

"I didn't see the hit, but I heard a great big bang," he said. "I thought someone was hurt."

Cunningham said he saw the pickup truck without a driver moving through the parking lot of D&P Coin-Op Laundry and Dry Cleaning, jump the curb and move onto the grassy strip on Herald-Mail property.

Brent Estep, who lives in an apartment at 133-135 Summit Ave. with Sherri Osborne and their infant son, Damien, said the pickup truck was his. Estep said he was sleeping when the accident occurred.

"I'm a light sleeper," Estep said. "I don't know how I didn't hear it."

He said he did not realize what had happened until he saw his pickup truck was missing when he walked outside when he was ready to go to work.

"I came outside and saw a car in my parking spot," he said. "At first I thought someone stole my car."

Estep said the situation was frustrating.

"I'm tearing up," he said. "That truck is the only thing we have."

Police responded to the accident at 7:17 a.m. and closed off Summit Avenue. The road was reopened at about 8 a.m., after the Aveo was towed away.

A firetruck from nearby Antietam Fire Co. was on the scene with the Hagerstown Police Department.


City Editor Linda Duffield and Staff Writer Dave McMillion contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles