Advertisement

Business briefs

September 20, 2011

Hempen Hill BBQ

Hempen Hill BBQ will participate in Dine Out for Farms, a nationwide event organized by American Farmland Trust designed to educate diners about the importance of farms and raise funds to save farmland.

Throughout the celebration, from Oct. 16 to 22, Hempen Hill BBQ patrons will join the growing movement of restaurants and diners who support a sustainable future for America's farms.

For more information about Dine Out for Farms, go to www.farmland.org/dineout.



Maryland Energy Administration

Maryland homeowners can take advantage of $2.1 million set aside in rebates through the Maryland Energy Administration.

The Maryland Energy Administration is sponsoring Maryland Home Performance, an initiative to reduce the state's electricity consumption by 15 percent per household by 2015.

All Maryland homes qualify for 35 percent rebates. Total electric homes qualify for an additional 15 percent through Potomac Edison, making for a total of 50 percent rebate for those homes.

Qualified work includes air sealing, as well as insulation work in basements, attics, walls and/or crawl spaces, which are typically the most cost-effective improvements.

In order to take advantage of the program, state homeowners must use Maryland home-performance contractors, who are trained to assess houses to improve energy performance, including a review of insulation, air leakage, heating and cooling equipment, lighting and appliances. They can tshow homeowners how they can reduce energy usage by 25 percent to 50 percent. Consumers can save 20 percent to 25 percent on energy bills by implementing the recommendations.

To find a list of home-performance contractors, go to www.mdhomeperformance.org or call the Home Energy Team at 301-791-7216.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|