Advertisement

Fire damages Chambersburg apartment building

August 30, 2011|By JENNIFER FITCH | waynesboro@herald-mail.com
  • Firefighters clear debris from apartments on Wisteria Drive in Chambersburg, Pa., on Tuesday.
By Jennifer Fitch, Staff Writer

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. — Two apartments were damaged in a noon fire Tuesday at 1780 Wisteria Drive near the intersection of U.S. 30 and Garman Drive.

The fire started on a kitchen stove in an upstairs apartment, Fayetteville Fire Co. Assistant Chief Collin Anderson said.

Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshal Jeff Sarver was on the scene to pinpoint the cause.

"We believe it was accidental," said Dustin Ulrich, a deputy chief for Fayetteville Fire Co.

An ambulance took a woman to Chambersburg Hospital for a non-life threatening medical issue.

Anderson and Ulrich said firefighters discovered boxes scattered throughout the upstairs apartment when they arrived. They said they were told someone was moving into the building when the fire started.

About 80 percent of the belongings were saved, according to Ulrich.

He said one smoke detector was activated by the blaze.

A challenge in apartment building fires is the shared roof, but the fire was quickly contained, Anderson said.

Other responding fire companies were Franklin, New Franklin, Mont Alto, Marion and the Franklin County (Pa.) Air Unit.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|