Residents happy that Irene's wrath missed Tri-State area

August 28, 2011|By JULIE E. GREENE and DAVE McMILLION | and
  • Tim Dole of Glen Echo, Md., took advantage of Sunday's pleasant post-Irene weather to put his sea kayak in the Potomac River at Shepherdstown, W.Va.
By Joe Crocetta/Staff Photographer

Tri-State-area residents ventured out Sunday after the remnants of Hurricane Irene passed and reported that it had been “pretty clear sailing” despite some problems like power outages.

And although 1.29 inches of rain was dumped in Hagerstown, some people interviewed said they did not have any problems with flooding.

“You see the yard. It’s not even muddy,” said Melissa Stover as she took care of some outside chores on South Church Street in Shepherdstown, W.Va., on Sunday morning.

By then, stormy skies had given way to a pleasant day with sunny, blustery conditions.

Hagerstown residents Jim and Carol Gwin were taking a walk through their North Gate neighborhood on a sunny Sunday afternoon, two days after they evacuated from their home in Ocean City, Md.

“I think we’re glad we did what we did and we evacuated,” said Carol Gwin, 66.

The Gwins said a neighbor checked on their Ocean City property and it was OK.

“We could have stayed and I guess been OK, but we’re glad we didn’t,” said Jim Gwin, 73.

“I think we missed the brunt of the storm,” said Hagerstown resident Eric Stanfield, 40.

Stanfield and his son, Zack, 5, were hiking the Appalachian Trail after a bit of cabin fever set in during the storm.

Stanfield said he made sure he had gas and a generator at home in case of a power outage.

Critical equipment was shut down  the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Gaithersburg, Md., where Stanfield is an engineer in case of an extended loss of power, he said.

Hagerstown residents Corey Farris, 23, and Morgan McCoy, 19, went for a hike on the Appalachian Trail off U.S. 40 east of Hagerstown Sunday afternoon after the stormy weather passed.

McCoy said she’d been a little worried about Irene because she was driving to a co-worker’s wedding in Poolesville, Md., on Saturday morning.

Despite being delayed earlier Sunday due to the rain, Nicki Woodhams was operating a vegetable stand by the Big Cork Vineyard along Main Street in Rohrersville Sunday afternoon.

Woodhams said she lost power at her nearby house about 10 p.m. Sunday and the outage affected the whole valley around her.

“There wasn’t any thunder or lightning, it just went out,” Woodhams said.

Down the street from the stand, Sally Brooks said she was surprised she did not get any water in her basement from the storm. Brooks said she thinks the fact the rain was a more gentle, steady rain was the reason she did not have any problems with standing water.

Several firefighters from Funkstown and Hancock went to Ocean City this weekend to assist emergency crews dealing with storm damage, according to Washington County Emergency Services. Washington County Special Operations was helping out in Annapolis.

The Herald-Mail Articles